Possible SLI? #halp

Possible SLI? #halp

Postby belowaverage » Mon May 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Good afternoon Gents,

Recently Sum made me feel self conscious that I haven't updated my rig since 2011. I was curious as to potential cheap upgrade that would get the most bang for the buck. My initial thought was to finally get a second card to partner with my current GTX560Ti. My power supply and motherboard were originally purchased to handle two cards, with the thought of me doing it at some point in the future.

I know it's an old card and whatever, but would a second card be worth it?

CPU: i5-2500K
Vid Card: EVGA GTX 560Ti
Power: Raidmax Rx-850AE 850W
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 (Rev 3.0)
Ram: 8GB Ripjaws X (2 x 4GB)

^ Nothing flashy I know, but it fit my budget at the time...which has only gotten tighter since then, haha. Again built back in 2011, so it's what I'm working with at this point going forward.

Any tech help is appreciated.
belowaverage
SkuLL Member
SkuLL Member

Re: Possible SLI? #halp

Postby Digital Deranged » Mon May 04, 2015 6:11 pm

If you plan on overclocking you need to have between 800 watts and a kilowatt so you'd be pushing it but probably be ok. If not overclocking you're definitely solid on power as 700w would be recommended.

There will indeed be a performance gain (confirmed in BF3 specifically in case you were wondering) but I, and most everyone on the interwebs, believe it really comes down to the price. You'll be rocking more hardcore, but can your wallet take the hit? That's what it's all about.

It's got the performance? You got the cashish? If so then go for it!

P.S. Make sure you will physically have room for the second card as that has bitten some folks square in the ass in the past.
Digital Deranged

Postby belowaverage » Mon May 04, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Let's say I was willing to spend no more than $200. Would that change anything in terms of your recommendation?
belowaverage
SkuLL Member
SkuLL Member

Postby ShroomBear » Mon May 04, 2015 7:26 pm

I'd save up for a big upgrade. The CPU is sandy bridge series, which didn't handle OC's well to begin with, and they're at end of life for Intel's support. The 560ti is a great card, however it's old at this point and discontinued, so it's just getting harder and harder to find good quality working ones, plus newer games use technologies not supported by your card.
ShroomBear

Postby Digital Deranged » Mon May 04, 2015 8:32 pm

From what I've seen, available new versions of that card are over $200 and now that I know Sandy Bridge is at it's end that pretty much seals the deal. I'd advise you save up to do a larger scale upgrade.
Digital Deranged

Postby ShroomBear » Tue May 05, 2015 1:22 am

Yeah, the new versions of that card aren't going to be going down anymore just because that was probably the lowest price that they were when they discontinued the series. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic card, it's just outdated to what new games are throwing at it. Pretty much every new game is 50+ gigs because more and more textures are being rendered in 4K, and higher memory cards are being emphasized by just seeing that new games show you how much VRAM is being used with various settings.
ShroomBear

Return to General Chatter